IV Therapy Calculations
- Mr. Adams is S/P Radical Retropubic
Prostatectomy (RRP), POD#1. He has D5W.45%NS + KCL 20mEq/L infusing at
125cc/hour. How many hours will a 1-Liter IV bag last?
- Mr. Adams has an order for IV antibiotics:
Cefazolin (Ancef) i gm IV q 8hours x3 doses. The Cefazolin is i g in 50mL
D5W. How many cc’s/hour do you set the IV pump to infuse the medication
over 20 minutes?
- Ms. Jones is S/P cystectomy with ileal
conduit, POD#2. She has Famotidine (Pepcid) 20mg IV q12 hours. The
Famotidine is 20mg in 50mL D5W. How many cc’s/hour do you set the IV pump
to infuse the medication over 15 minutes?
- Why is an H2-receptor blocker
prescribed to patients who have had major surgical procedures such as Ms.
- Gentamicin (Garamycin) 80mg IV q 8h is
prescribed. The medication comes in a 100-mL IV bag. How many cc’s/hour
will you set the IV pump to infuse this medication over 60minutes?
- Aminoglycosides (e.g., gentamicin) are
potentially nephrotoxic and ototoxic. What specific lab tests are used to
monitor for nephrotixicity when a patient is receiving gentamicin?
- Ms. Abramson had emergency left
hemicolectomy for ruptured diverticulum. She is POD#2. The physician has
ordered a bolus of 500mL of 0.9%NS over 1 hour for a low urine output. How
many cc’s/hour will you set the IV pump to infuse this bolus?
- Mr. Chen is npo and has parenteral
nutritional therapy for treatment of a duodenal fistula. He has parenteral
nutritional fluids infusing at 1500cc’s per day. How many cc’s per hour
will you set the IV pump?
- Physician order: Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) 400mg
IV q12h. Drug available: Cipro 400mg in 200mL D5W. How many cc’s/hour will
you set the IV pump to infuse this medication over 60 minutes?
- Physician order: Piperacillin Tazobactam (Zosyn)
3.375 gm IV q 6h. Drug available: Zosyn 3.375gm in 100mL D5W. How many cc’s/hour
will you set the IV pump to infuse this medication over 30 minutes?
11. Mr. Richards is admitted
for LV heart failure. The physician orders Furosemide (Lasix) 40mgIV
push. Lasix is available 10mg/mL. How many mLs do
you prepare? What is the rate of
administration to give this medication IV push?
12. Which electrolytes do you monitor
when giving Lasix?
13. Give approximate time of onset
of action for Lasix IV push?
14. Mr. Richards had a mitral valve
replacement (MVR). He is on a continuous IV infusion of
Heparin (Heparin drip). His Heparin is infusing at
900u per hour. The IV bag is labeled
Heparin 25,000 units in 250mL D5W. How many cc’s
per hour will you set the IV pump?
15. Physician order: Metronidazole
(Flagyl) 500mg IV q6h. Drug available: Flagyl 500mg in 50mL
.9%NS. How many cc’s per hour will you set the
IV pump to infuse over 30 minutes?
16. Calculate the gtt/min for an IV
infusing at 80cc/h using tubing that delivers 20gtt/mL.